Associate Scientist, Cellular Immunotherapy
Fast growing gene therapy start up
bluebird bio is developing potentially transformative, one-time gene therapies for severe genetic and orphan diseases. At the heart of bluebird bio’s product creation efforts is its broadly applicable gene therapy platform for the development of new treatments for diseases with few or no clinical options. bluebird bio has two clinical stage product candidates in development, one for childhood cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy (CCALD) and one for beta-thalassemia major/sickle cell disease, and an early stage oncology program in partnership with Celgene Corporation.
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative Cellular Immunotherapy team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. This new Associate Scientist will join our group to develop and evaluate novel cellular immunotherapies for clinical applications.
- Use lentiviral vectors to genetically modify freshly isolated T lymphocytes
- Expand the gene modified cells in culture
- Use immunological assays to characterize primary T lymphocytes freshly isolated and following in vitro culture, including ELISA and flow cytometry
- Use cell-based assays to assess the functional characteristics of genetically modified T lymphocytes
- Prepare all technical reports needed in support of an exploratory project moving to process development
- Exercise independent judgment in development of new methods, techniques and evaluation criteria
- BS/MS cell biology, immunology or related discipline with 5+ years’ experience in a relevant field
- Expertise in mammalian cell culture, with specific experience isolating and propagating in vitro culture of human T lymphocytes
- Experience with viral vector or vaccine production is a plus
- Excellent computer skills and experience with Microsoft Excel. Flow cytometry data analysis software experience a plus
- Proven ability to effectively plan and organize work activities and prioritize task completion to meet schedules and deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team, collaborating with members of other functional groups
- Understanding of safe lab practices and BSL requirements
- Superb organizational and communications, both written and oral, skills and “do-what-it-takes” attitude
- Should be highly motivated, flexible, and have excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself
This is an exciting time to join the field of gene therapy in general, and to become a part of the bluebird bio team in particular. bluebird bio is a publicly traded company on the NASDAQ Global Select Market and trades under the symbol BLUE. We were named to the 2012 FierceBiotech Fierce 15. We offer a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative, colorful, and scientifically rigorous environment, with all the fun and passion that a start-up provides, plus an excellent benefits package that includes stock options, commuter/parking benefit, etc.
bluebird bio, 150 Second Street, Cambridge, MA 02141 www.bluebirdbio.com
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.